How to Fundraise without Ever Asking Someone Face-to-Face
Yes, it is possible to fundraise, and fundraise successfully, without ever having to ask someone face-to-face! Below we provide the ways the following riders have used these tools to achieve their fundraising goals in a few weeks:
- Kate Deering raised $3,800 by getting 30 donations ranging from $25 to $250.
- Jodi Kennedy raised $2,300 by getting 26 donations ranging from $50 to $200.
- Brett Chodorow used email to reach out to his friends and within 6 days had 38 donations between $15 and $250 with a surprise larger donation and raised $4,005
- Philip Graham raised $2,950 in 6 days by reaching out to friends and family
We asked them to provide WORDS OF WISDOM and here’s what they said:
- Just do it. Don’t over think it.
- Be persistent. Send emails and then send again in two weeks. Post to facebook every week.
- It’s a numbers game. The more people you ask, the more donations you’ll get. You can raise $2,500 with donations of $25 to $250. And you’ll be surprised by a few larger donations.
- Don’t be worried about being a pest. People will be happy to support you. More people than you think are impacted by cancer and looking for a way to donate. You give them a relevant and meaningful way to do it.
We asked them HOW THEY DID IT and here’s what they said:
1. Personalize Your Profile with a Photo and a few words about why you’re riding. Riders who do this raise TWICE as much as those that don’t. You can do it all in less than ten minutes and make a world of difference to donors. And it’s not a time consuming task. It takes less than five minutes to post a picture to your profile. It takes only five to ten minutes to write a few words. You don’t have to write a poignant story for the ages – write a few brief words. Do it now, and you can always change and update it later.
2. Send an email to your contacts that shares your profile page and asks them to make a donation. There are two ways to do this:
Use your own email account—open a blank email and tell your story about why you are riding and what you are asking of them, then in the bcc field add all the people who you want to send the solicitation email to and hit send!
Use the solicitation tool in your profile—once you login to your profile, click on ASK FOR DONATIONS under Fundraising. Modify the boilerplate and enter up to 10 email addresses.
3. Share your profile page through Facebook. Post it at least once a week with 1 or 2 sentences about why you’re riding and include a fundraising or training milestone.
Here’s how to do it:
- Go to your profile (make sure you are not logged in)
- Click on the Facebook, twitter or email icon (to the right of your profile photo)
- Write a quick note to go along with your link and hit share!
4. Save the mobile app to your smart phone and then share your profile page when you have a few minutes – flip it to people via text, share it on Facebook or Twitter. Remember it is a frequency game.
Here’s how to do it:
How to Use the Mobile Application
The first of its kind, the Pedal the Cause mobile application is a powerful tool in your fundraising arsenal.
- What is the Mobile App? The mobile app is a pared down version of your profile that allows friends, family and coworkers to immediately and securely donate to your ride. Procrastination is no longer an excuse with the mobile app!
- Where can I find the Mobile App? The mobile app can be found in your profile. You can find the URL for your mobile site there, as well as a QR code you can scan.
- How to I get the Mobile App on my phone? Once you have either emailed it to yourself OR scanned the QR code. Save the page to your home screen on your mobile device.
- It is on My Home Screen, Now What? Now you can start using it to fundraise wherever you are! You can click on the icon on your smart phone and share your profile with donation link via text message, email, facebook or Twitter. If someone expresses interest in donating to your ride, click on the icon on your home screen and hand them your phone to complete the donation process, or text the page to them and they can open it on their phone. It only takes 5 minutes!
If you have any questions do not hesitate to give us a call at 760-642-2720 or email email@example.com